News promotion: “was i happy about that? Not for a moment. Did you do everything you could to persuade people? Of course, of course,” Breyer told CNN’s Chris Wallace of the court’s Dobbs ruling.
- “But we’ve been there and now we’re continuing. We’re trying to work together,” he said.
- Mr. Breyer recalled his position on the court’s liberal minority as “extremely frustrating” and denounced the leak of the draft opinion as “extremely damaging.”
- “It was very damaging because that kind of thing doesn’t happen. It just doesn’t happen. And there we are,” he said.
Big picture: Breyer also warned the judge against ‘writing’ [opinions] too stiff. ”
- “If you start writing too rigidly, you’ll find that the world will come and bite your back,” Breyer said.
- “Because what you’re looking at turns out not to work at all. And the Supreme Court, somewhat differently than other courts, has that kind of problem in spades.”
What to see: His remarks come days before the Supreme Court begins its next term.
Deeper… The Supreme Court’s next term could be equally controversial