Important reason: Americans are eager to travel again, and regional airports make it easier to reach some of the country’s distant hotspots.
News promotion: American Airlines said Wednesday that it plans to end service to Islip, New York. Ithaca, NY; Toledo, Ohio; Dubuque, Iowa.
- United Airlines is also reducing 50 daily flights from Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. This is a major hub for travelers in the New York City area.
- The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that 30 airports had lost “at least half of their 2019 departures.”
- JetBlue and Spirit Airlines have previously announced a shortened summer schedule.
What they are saying: Scott Keys, the founder of Scott’s cheap flights, told Axios:
With numbers: According to flight data tracker OAG, airlines canceled flights 793,018 in North America in the first 23 weeks of this year, up 21% from the same period in 2019 before the pandemic.
- According to FlightAware, there was a delay of 5,883 on flights inside and outside the United States on Wednesday alone.
- Secretary of Transportation Pete Butigeg warned last week that his department could take enforcement action against airlines that do not comply with consumer protection standards.
Play status: Airlines say they are nervous to keep up with some because they don’t have enough staff to handle the surge in leisure travelers.
- “I really want to emphasize how dramatic a step is to reduce flights from the summer schedule,” Keys said. “It’s similar to Wal-Mart saying it won’t open on Black Friday. Seeing the schedule adjust in the months of this summer makes it clear how difficult they are. understand.”
Yes, but: According to the Ministry of Transport, the aviation industry had 751,165 employees in April, up from the November 2020 pandemic low of 673,663.
- This is the second highest monthly total in the last 21 years, following 753,382 in February 2020.
Remember: The TSA is also nervous to keep up with the rise in tourists as it addresses the types of labor shortages that other employers are working on.
- “It’s just a train wreck in progress,” says Keys.
Conclusion: Get ready for the turmoil of your trip this summer.